Insured?

How Gender Affects a Car Insurance Quote

Insurance companies include gender among the various factors used to determine policy premiums. Since you have no control over your gender, it can be frustrating if you are being penalized for being male or female. By understanding how gender affects every car insurance quote, you are better able to find great deals on quality policies.

Experience Driving

Young male drivers have the highest insurance rates in the industry. All teen drivers are considered inexperienced and have higher premiums until they gain experience and prove they are safe drivers by maintaining a good driving record. Male teen drivers are statistically more likely to drive recklessly which causes accidents. Once drivers turn 25 years old, rates are adjusted to reflect their experience on the road.

Frequency of Accidents

Statistics support that claim that female drivers are safer than their male counterparts. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners reports that men are more likely to be involved in accidents. Men have a higher probability of being the cause of car crashes which makes male drivers risky to insurance companies because accidents typically result in insurance claims. Additionally, men are more resistant to wearing seat belts which can result in serious injuries and high medical bills. Male drivers account for nearly 75% of all fatal accidents while female drivers are responsible for the remaining 25%.

Speeding Tickets

Male drivers tend to have more speeding tickets than female drivers. Speeding and associated reckless driving is a leading cause of accidents and fatalities. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, men are more likely to be speeding when involved in a fatal accident. Approximately 24% of male drivers who die in accidents were speeding while the same holds true for only 15% of female drivers.

DUI/DWI Violations

All driving convictions impact your premiums. However, DUI and DWI convictions are especially troublesome to insurance companies. Impaired driving is a serious offense that can be fatal for impaired drivers as well as innocent bystanders. Men are arrested for these offenses nearly three times more often than women. Any type of impaired driving conviction will increase your annual insurance rates by thousands of dollars. You may find it difficult to get a car insurance quote that is affordable if you have these types of violations on your driving record.

Car Preference

The type of cars each gender prefers to drive is yet another influencing factor on rates. Men are more likely to drive sports cars or luxury vehicles that are more expensive to insure. More men than women own classic vehicles which can be quite expensive in terms of insurance. Women tend to consider safety more often than not when purchasing a vehicle. You can see how this is important to insurance carriers when you consider that the make and model of your car is one of the first pieces of information you have to provide when getting a car insurance quote.

Regardless of your gender, it is possible to get a car insurance quote for quality coverage you can afford. Find a good quote service to get multiple quotes for easy comparison. After comparing quotes, buy the policy that offers the cheapest rate for the best coverage. It is that simple!

» Basics of Getting a Car Insurance Quote

You need to have specific information available to get an accurate car insurance quote. Learn about the basics of getting and comparing quotes so you can find a policy that meets your needs.

» Glossary for Understanding a Car Insurance Quote

Understanding a car insurance quote requires knowledge of specific terms. Use this glossary to consider quotes so you can determine which one offers the best value for your money.

» Car Insurance Quote Tips

Use tips from experts to find a car insurance quote that is affordable and provides excellent benefits. There are specific actions you can take to locate incredible deals that include lower premiums.

» Factors Affecting Every Car Insurance Quote

Discover the factors that have the greatest impact on a car insurance quote so you can take steps to mitigate negative factors while leveraging positive ones to get the best policy.

Rates

» How Gender Affects a Car Insurance Quote

Insurance companies include gender among the various factors used to determine policy premiums. Since you have no control over your gender, it can be frustrating if you are being penalized for being male or female. By understanding how gender affects every car insurance quote, you are better able to find great deals on quality policies.